Thursday, November 27, 2014

Pau Panas!

Hmmm.

There are many things happening in Malaysia - and a fairly as much in my mind. Which is why, among many reasons, I stopped logging in into Facebook (maybe once or twice a week).

My friend described this as a "reverse culture shock". After years spending my time in a developed country with a (relatively) functional civil society, of course I have certain views on what Malaysia should be, and do, as a country. Sadly, I haven't answered (or found?) the question "how" and when I came back, it was too much for me to handle (plus with other personal commitments and expectations). The thoughts --and sentiments living in a developed country --lingered and dragged me down.

I am drowned, in my own thoughts. Endless layers of propositions and consequences. 

Man, I thought I am supposed to stop from being melancholic.

===

It is  that season again. The season where supposedly aspiring faces of Malaysian feudalism and nationalism rise and talk.

I thought it is gonna be different this time around. All these talks and promises to revolutionize UMNO and make them more "youthful" and more inclusive policies and approach --well, they are all talk. 

I just don't get it. Every year, PAU will be like an arena where warriors will show how shiny their old ancient sacred swords, brandished with new decorations only to be applauded. Same old, same old. And it seems that the speakers are only considering the heated clamorous air within the party only, as if the country can't move without the party. 

Probably that's true. With UMNO holds the biggest power in BN coalition and a simple majority in the parliament, they can pass any law to their benefit. Actually, it's not we the citizens who can't live without them --it's them who can move on without us. I thought, from the latest GE trend, and the constant criticizing of our ex-PM, they would dial down a bit and really emphasize on inclusiveness, or in plain words, to make Malaysia belongs to all Malaysians. Boy,was I wrong! 

Sedition Act is here to stay although in 2012 they pledge to have it replaced with Akta Keharmonian Nasional. Probably after various arrests happened for the last few months, have opened their eyes of how useful the Act is. So good bye freedom of speech and academic freedom and hello to vague definition of sedition.

On the few improvements on Sedition Act the PM announced, on surface, it actually does not add clarity to the Act. One it will include clauses for Islam and other religion (s) and second to any call for Sabah and Sarawak to secede.

Well the first one sounds vague and the second one could be a stretch. I do agree that Sabah and Sarawak should be focused more by the Federal Government, not just in development but also in law (and probably moral?) enforcement. Even my professor is complaining the deforestation happening in Sarawak is a violation to the nature and a major contribution to Malaysia's highly alarming rate of species extinction (well, after so many drops in list, at least we top that --also our shopping malls, the fourth comfiest in the whole world!). Their development is pretty much slow although they are rich in natural resources. 

But PAU is not finished yet. Probably there will be better instances, who knows. At least, people like Dato' Saifudin Abdullah, the CEO of Gerakan Moderat Malaysia and Datuk Nur Jazlan, the chariman of Public Account Committee are there to stay in UMNO. Although their voices and concern do not resonate loud in UMNO, these are the faint whisper of guidance. There is still hope in UMNO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment